What are the 2 types of family-based immigrant visas?

When you live in Texas or another part of the United States as a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident, you may wish to bring family members from your home nation to the United States to live with you. Depending on circumstances, you may be able to sponsor the family member or members you want to come to the United States and help them get one of two types of family-based immigrant visas.

Per the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, the two types of family-based visas are immediate relative visas and family preference visas.

Immediate relative visas

If you are already a U.S. citizen, you may be able to get an immediate relative visa that enables you to bring someone who shares a close family relationship with you to the United States. You may be able to obtain this type of visa if you wish to have a spouse, child or parent come live alongside you. There is no limit to how many immediate relative visas are available each year.

Family preference visas

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident, rather than a U.S. citizen, you may be able to obtain a family preference visa that enables a more distant relative, such as a spouse or unmarried son or daughter, to move to the United States. Only so many family reference visas are available each year.

While you must be either a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident to potentially secure a family-based visa, there are also age restrictions involved. You must be at least 21 years of age to sponsor someone for a family-based visa.