Family Law Representation For Same-Sex Marriages
While same-sex marriages are common in Texas today, same-sex couples can face complex challenges when they rely on the court to resolve a family law matter. LGBT couples share the same rights as opposite-sex couples; however, there are gray areas within family law that can affect the outcome of same-sex divorce, child custody dispute or another related matter.
At the Law Office of Irene G. Mugambi, P.C., our attorneys are committed to advocating on behalf of same-sex couples seeking the full extent of their rights. To schedule a consultation with our lawyers to discuss your family law concerns, call our law firm in Dallas at 214-504-1137.
Helping Same-Sex Families Resolve Conflicts Effectively
Legal gray areas emerge when same-sex partners marry, blending their families, their incomes and their assets. When same-sex clients consult at our firm, they often need help resolving issues related to:
- Parental rights – Parental rights are not always clear cut if one spouse is the biological parent and the other parent did not adopt the nonbiological child. As a result, the nonbiological parent may have no decision-making rights regarding the nonbiological child’s religious upbringing, health care decisions or educational options.
- Property and asset division – When same-sex couples pursue divorce and engage in property division negotiations, the legal date of their marriage may not fully represent how long the couple was together. As a result, assets, property and debt may not be divided fairly.
- Financial orders – Same-sex couples who have shared assets and property years before marriage can also face complications when negotiating the terms of spousal support. Unlike child support orders, Texas spouses are not required to pay alimony or spousal support after they divorce. It is up to the family court judge’s discretion to award spousal support, which is often contingent on the number of years in the marriage and other factors.
These challenges are complex, but they are not impossible to overcome. As your advocate, we will do everything in our power to protect your best interests when you are grappling with a difficult family law problem.
How We Can Help
Our attorneys recognize the challenges that same-sex couples face during divorce. We encourage you to take a proactive approach today in order to reduce legal headaches you may face in the future.
Our lawyers can help you address child custody, property division and spousal support issues by:
- Facilitating stepparent adoptions – We are qualified to assist in stepparent adoptions so that nonbiological parents can receive decision-making rights during the marriage and custody or visitation rights should the couple divorce.
- Drafting, negotiating and revising prenuptial agreements – We help our clients establish the terms of property, asset and debt division should they divorce. This agreement can include provisions for spousal support.
Whether you are contemplating marriage, separation or divorce, it is important to know your legal rights and the consequences of your actions before you take the next step. We invite you to meet with an attorney at our firm to discuss your concerns.