Dallas Immigration Lawyer

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  → What are the eligibility requirements for getting a fiancé visa?

What are the eligibility requirements for getting a fiancé visa?

When you are a U.S. citizen and fall in love with someone born in another nation, you may want to explore the prospect of securing a fiancé visa for your partner. A fiancé visa allows your partner to come to Texas and stay with you, as long as your situation meets certain criteria.

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may be able to secure a fiancé visa if you and your situation meet the eligibility requirements outlined below.

Determining eligibility for a fiancé visa

To get a visa for your fiancé, you and he or she must marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival on U.S. soil. Failing to do so may result in your fiancé having to leave the United States without a clear way to get back. You and your fiancé also must be legally able to marry, meaning you are of legal age and not already in marriages with other people.

You and your fiancé also have to meet in person at least once during the two-year span that precedes your filing a petition for a visa. However, there are a few rare exceptions to this rule. You may be able to avoid meeting in person if doing so is a violation of your or your fiancé’s cultural or religious beliefs.

Determining eligibility for a fiancé’s kids

If your foreign-born fiancé also has kids under 21 who are not in marriages and you want those kids to also come to the United States, they may be able to do so via a K-2 nonimmigrant visa.

If your fiancé comes to the United States using a fiancé visa and his or her child comes to the United States via a K-2 nonimmigrant visa, they may both apply for green cards at the same time.