Dallas Immigration Lawyer

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  → How can you bring your spouse to the United States?

How can you bring your spouse to the United States?

To have a partner who resides out of the U.S. or who does not have U.S. citizenship may be a burden on your relationship.

If you are a permanent resident of the United States or if you are a Green Card holder, there are ways that you can bring your spouse to the U.S. to live with you. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains how you can apply for citizenship.

The application process

When your spouse applies for citizenship, there are different rules based on your status and where your spouse has residency. For example, if your spouse does not reside in the U.S. but you are a U.S. citizen, then you need to wait for the consulate or embassy to process Form I-130.  If you have a Green Card but your spouse lives in the U.S., then you have to wait for a visa number to become available.

The documentation requirements

Your spouse has to submit the Form I-130. This is a petition for alien relatives. When filing this form, your spouse should include a copy of your marriage certificate, a copy of any divorce decree, death certificates or annulments to prove that neither of you are in a different marriage.

You and your spouse should have passport style photos, evidence of legal name changes, court judgments and adoption decrees. You must also include your U.S. passport, your birth certificate or other documents to prove that you are a U.S. citizen. If you have a Green Card, then you need to supply a copy of your passport and Green Card.